Search This Blog

Monday, November 1, 2010

To Hell with “It’s the Thought That Counts”

What my postcard said:
I told the dolphins "Hi!" for you & they said "Hi!" back ;-) I will tell you all about it when I see you.
-Phuong


Personally, I think the phrase “It’s the thought that counts” is equivalent to an admission of failure.  This all dawned on me when I got really irked over my failure to properly send someone a postcard from my trip to Mexico.  I wrote down the correct address and everything, but I neglected to include “United States of America.” Obviously, I am not accustomed to writing my own country’s name on whatever letter or package I send...we just don't do that domestically and it’s something that can easily be forgotten when one is abroad.  I have sent dozens of postcards from my trips around the world (I have even sent some via papal mail) and they have all reached their intended destinations. Why did I fail this time? Perhaps it was due to lack of planning.

From now on, for me, “It’s the thought that counts” is not going to hack it anymore. I am replacing that worthless phrase with “It’s the execution that counts.” To show someone you thought of him/her, you must carry out your objective or else it’s just meaningless. Everyone has good intentions, but we all know where the road paved with good intentions leads.

No comments:

Post a Comment